Sat., Jan. 16 - Mon., Jan. 18, 2010 -- we got results this weekend!


After that hearty breakfast, I finished more light switch plates for the laundry room. I'm getting better at making them, so I may have to go back and redo first edition plates. The key to perfection is a hot glue gun:


I installed, all by myself, one of the smoke alarms. No help! I did bungle the other one, though. Not only is ATM going to have to install it, he has to patch the lovely hole I made, too! Stop helping!

ATM finished painting the laundry room. The yellow hue was cheerful & sunshiney, but with all of the doggie paw prints and smudges, it looked awful dingy. Now it's fresh and clean clean. We have a very grown up laundry room, I think:

At the Tree of Knowledge's annual Breakfast, Books & Booze sale (Locals, you must attend this next time around!), I finally scored Swallow Me Whole by native North Little Rocker (& friend!) Nate Powell. I read it in one sitting & it haunts me still, days later. It is a fantastic graphic novel & comes highly recommended!

ATM made biscuits! I think this is the first time I've documented his cooking ability. I like mine with strawberry preserves, he prefers his with blackstrap molasses:

For this year's Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, we volunteered with City Year @ the Rose City Boys & Girls Club. While we got to work with very sweet & motivated people, we were all a little put off by CY's organizational skills, our team leader, and the project we were assigned to. We were to build a cubby shelf for the Boys & Girls Club of Jacksonville. I was really excited because this would be my introduction to woodworking. We were led to a stack of pre-cut lumber; all of the boards were poorly measured & cut. They would not work for the dimensions they asked for, unfortunately. There were no saws of any kind to correct the mistakes, so we just did the best we could. I believe we did a damn fine job. I just really hate that we're giving sweet little things such a poorly built shelf that will give them splinters.
ATM, master hammerer. And, yes, the appropriate footwear for such a project is flip flops.

See? Not the worst thing ever! And this is A LOT of work, by the way. It inspired me to want to build our own shelves. A lot of it has to do with good measurements!

I don't know, I think we will take our volunteerism elsewhere next year. I don't know with whom or what, but that experience was less than satisfying. I don't want to just log in a few hours and call it a day, I want to do a project through completion AND it be a job well done. I feel that CY just wants the quantity, not the quality. You know, "another job done by City Year!". So not my style. Ugh, thinking back on it irritates me.
------------------------------------------------

See? Not the worst thing ever! And this is A LOT of work, by the way. It inspired me to want to build our own shelves. A lot of it has to do with good measurements!

I don't know, I think we will take our volunteerism elsewhere next year. I don't know with whom or what, but that experience was less than satisfying. I don't want to just log in a few hours and call it a day, I want to do a project through completion AND it be a job well done. I feel that CY just wants the quantity, not the quality. You know, "another job done by City Year!". So not my style. Ugh, thinking back on it irritates me.
------------------------------------------------
I have so much going on around me, it's hard to keep up with & to document. I think I need to take a staycation, for lack of a better word, but in the realest sense. No obligations, just do as I please, even if it includes not blogging. Which I feel I haven't been doing anyway. Full circle, I have so much going on around me, it's hard to keep up with & to document.
Tomorrow I am meeting Luca. Who? Keiko & Rett's newest family member! She was born on January 16, 2010. I cannot tell you how delighted I am to finally meet her & to visit with her parents and her sister, Negi. I'm a crazy good (self-appointed) Auntie! I'm sorry that I haven't written about our newest family member sooner, but I wanted to give the new parents space in every sense, including the interwebs.
On Friday, we'll get to see our Habitat photo IN A MUSEUM. Thrilling!
No comments:
Post a Comment